State Ambassador Internship
The Illinois Pork Producers Association State Ambassador/Intern serves as a representative of the association and the pork industry. The chosen individual will hold the title of State Ambassador for a full year and will work from the Springfield office during the summer of their term (May - August).
Main duties of the intern include managing the birthing center during the Illinois State Fair, attending Summer Ag Institutes, a project of his/her choosing (to be discussed with staff) and various other tasks. The internship is education and communication focused.
A $4,500 scholarship will be provided to the intern upon successful completion of the internship. Start date will depend on the student's school schedule, and end date will be after the conclusion of the IL State Fair.
- Must be an Illinois resident between the ages of 18 and 23 (Must be age 18 by Jan 1, 2021)
- Must exhibit strong communication, organization and leadership skills
- Must exhibit a genuine interest in the Illinois pork industry and be able to speak on behalf of it
- Recommended that he/she has attended Illinois Livestock Leadership Institute (Previously IPLI)
- Must be a member (or become a member) of the Illinois Pork Producers Association
- Must have reliable transportation and be willing to travel to out-of-state training and functions
- May only serve one year
Any questions may be directed to Jenny Ring at email@example.com or 217-529-3100. Applications for 2021 have closed.
Meet the 2020 IL Pork Ambassador: Zach Perkins
Zach is currently a junior at Illinois State University, majoring in Agriculture Business and Animal Industry Management. He is from Millbrook, a small rural community in Kendall County. As a 4-H and FFA member, his project was raising show pigs with his brother. They primarily raised Durocs and Crossbred pigs.
He received an associate degree at Joliet Junior College, where he was also a member of the livestock team, before transferring to ISU. He is currently on the IL 4-H Livestock Ambassador Team, and a member of the ISU Collegiate Farm Bureau and ISU Hoof & Horn Club. He enjoys being active in these organizations that promote agriculture and the swine industry.
Zach has attended several IL Pork and Livestock Leadership Institute Conferences, where he has been able to speak with people from across the state and industry. He is passionate about the pork industry, which is why he is pursuing an education and career centered around it. He specifically appreciates working with youth and molding them to be fellow advocates for the industry, which makes him an ideal 2020 IL Pork Ambassador.