State Ambassador Internship
The Illinois Pork Producers Association State Ambassador/Intern serves as a representative of the association and the pork industry. The chosen individual will hold the title of State Ambassador for a full year and will work from the Springfield office during the summer of their term (May - August).
Main duties of the intern include managing the birthing center during the Illinois State Fair, attending Summer Ag Institutes for teachers to present about pork, a project of his/her choosing (to be discussed with staff) and various other events. The internship is education and communication focused.
A $5,000 scholarship will be provided to the intern upon successful completion of the internship. Start date will depend on the student's school schedule, and end date will be after the conclusion of the IL State Fair.
- Must be an Illinois resident between the ages of 18 and 23 (Undergraduate and graduate students may apply. Note that payment is only provided via scholarship, directly to the institution.)
- Must exhibit strong communication, organization and leadership skills
- Must exhibit a genuine interest in the Illinois pork industry and be able to speak on behalf of it
- Recommended that he/she has attended Illinois Livestock Leadership Institute (Previously IPLI. Will get to attend on behalf of their internship)
- Must be a member (or become a member) of the Illinois Pork Producers Association
- Must have reliable transportation and be willing to travel to out-of-state training and functions
- May only serve one year
Any questions may be directed to Jennifer Tirey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-529-3100.
Meet the 2022 IL Pork Ambassador: Annie Johnson
My name is Annie Johnson, I am from Cambridge, Illinois, and a freshman at the University of Wisconsin- Platteville majoring in agriculture education. I have been involved with swine production in my home county by raising purebred Durocs and have a state winning Supervised Agricultural Experience through FFA in the area of Swine Production Entrepreneurship. I was a Henry County Pork Ambassador and relished the opportunity to get to know more about local agriculture, and I am beyond excited for the opportunity to be the 2022 Illinois Pork Ambassador. I look forward to learning more about Illinois pork production and proudly representing the Illinois Pork Producers Association.